If a full blown kitchen or bathroom remodel just isn’t in your budget, you can still get a modern, updated look for your countertops.
is one of the newest and most cost effective ways to quickly and dramatically change the look of the countertops in your kitchen or bath. You can restore and renew the look of your outdated laminate countertops, in a variety of colors and finishes, including granite. If you’ve always thought that a countertop remodel was out of reach, think again and try starting your transformation this weekend.
Countertop Paint can definitely be a do-it-yourself project. If you are not the do-it-yourself type, find a professional paint contractor who has worked with countertop paint projects previously and can show you some pictures of past projects. If you choose a one-color application, an average sized countertop can be renewed for about $70 with countertop paint. There are a variety of colors available in the single color countertop paint, and the granite option comes in many colors as well including chocolate, sapphire blue, green, sand and even red granite looks. A variety of patterns and color grade may be achieved with the same set of countertop paint depending upon your application technique.
Wondering how long this project will take? It’s a lot easier and faster than you think to apply this countertop paint. Painting with countertop paint to achieve a granite look will take as little as 4 hours for an average size (approximately 35 square feet) countertop. These impressive countertop paints seal out moisture, are low odor and water based. Additionally these countertop paint kits give you just about everything you need to successfully transform your countertops including a high grade clear finish coat and associated rollers, foam applicators and a step by step instructional DVD. On average, for most countertop paint kits, it’s recommended that you wait 3 days before using your newly painted countertops. Plan accordingly as you may not want to start a project like this within a holiday time period or when high use of your kitchen or bath countertops are expected.
Countertop paint sets are offered by many different manufacturers. Check websites and testimonials before you buy to gauge easy of application for each kit and long term performance. Some manufacturers of countertop paint offer 100% Satisfaction Guarantees for their products. Countertop paint kits can be found in popular discount superstores as well as on-line. Check around to get the best prices. Some manufacturers even provide a paint by number type template for do-it-yourselfers. Remember that while you newly painted countertops may look like granite, they are still laminate underneath, so you should continue to use trivets or protective pads before placing very hot items on your countertops. However, some countertop paint coating kits do provide a heat resistant surface that is also safe to come in contact with food.
Here are some basic steps, tips and items you may need before you get started with your countertop paint.
- Work in a well ventilated area with temperatures of about 70 degrees or so.
- You may need an orbital sander or use the sand paper supplied with your kit, and apply by hand, to sand down your existing countertops.
- Have plenty of clean rags on hand to wipe down your sanded surface and remove dust.
- Use paper to tape off any areas such as flooring that you wish to protect from paint drips.
- Always use recommended material and instructions that comes with your kit for clean-up of recommended application tools.
- Blend your countertop paint base coat of paint as instructions indicate.
- Apply countertop paint base coat with squeegee or recommended applicator per your enclosed instructions.
- Apply decorative flakes or other decorative elements, and allow to dry per manufacturer’s instructions.
- After recommended drying time, you may need to sand lightly to remove any loose flakes or to smooth the surface , always check specific instructions for your application type.
- Blend countertop paint top coat and apply carefully and evenly with recommended applicator (rollers are often used). Do not over-roll or this will create air bubbles.
- Apply second layer of countertop paint top coat as directed and allow to dry completely.
Whether you are just plain tired of your laminate countertops and wish to change the color of them, or are trying to hide minor cosmetic flaws such as scratches on your countertops or you want to give your kitchen or bath an updated look without spending a fortune, countertop paint is the answer you’ve been looking for. Depending upon the type and brand of countertop paint kit you purchase, some of these paints can carry a lifetime and/or 100% satisfaction guarantee. The clear coat finish adds a boost of shine and provides a durable protective surface to your renewed countertops.
If you’ve been dreaming of new countertops for a long time but a Corian or Granite makeover just isn’t in your budget, definitely consider revamping your tired laminate or Formica countertops now with countertop paint. Not only is it inexpensive and easy to do yourself, but the results are durable and stunning. Colors can be mixed to match any décor and style. A few hours of your time and a roll up your sleeves and get it done attitude, can easily and affordably transform your kitchen or bathroom countertop in time for your next social gathering to impress your friends and family. Who knows? Your guests may be so impressed with you expertise in
, that they may decide to transform their own countertops too.